Book Title: What They See: How to Stand Out and Shine in Your New Job by Jennifer Swanson
Category: Adult Non-Fiction, 220 pages
Genre: Career prep / business etiquette
Publisher: Influence Publishing
Release date: May 2015
First impressions DO count, and so does what comes afterward! Learn how to stand out, shine and make a stellar lasting impression as you enter the workforce. We send messages constantly—through our body language, actions, what we carry with us and what we wear...and most of this has nothing to do with what we actually say. Being aware of the messages you send is the first step in learning how to build an overall (and sustainable) image of professionalism that will assure others that you are capable, competent, and right for the job. In an easy-to-read format, and with simple and actionable steps, this book will help you discover how others perceive you when you make a first impression, and will show you how to ensure that the world sees you the way you want it to. An expert in the field of communications and human relations, Jennifer Swanson has written a must-read book for students, new graduates, job seekers or anyone looking to fulfill their professional goals.
What they see by Jennifer Swanson is what it claims to be – a book that gives you useful tips, hints, tricks to shine after you get your job. While most books concentrate only on appearing and passing in interviews, this one teaches you what to do after you have actually got the job. A rare and useful gem that people would really appreciate.
Written in a concise, clear language with interlaced humour, the author manages to convey what she wants to say in a down to earth manner often using her own life experiences as examples. Her style is attractive and I immediately fell in love with the style. The book doesn’t preach and it doesn’t sound like it wants to teach you stuff like a rule book. This is a book that has a few hints that you would find useful in your day to day life. You need not read it cover to cover. But when you skim through it, you will find practices that can be incorporated in every day life, thereby making your life better and those around you like you better.
Here are a few things from the book that I really loved!
· The book gave a very refreshing meaning to the 'trial/probation period'. From this positive beginning, I started enjoying the book.
· I really enjoyed the part about right attitude and not blessing others with our misery. Unlike other such (so called) books that guide people, this one did not advice people to plaster fake plastic smiles over their faces to please customers / clients / colleagues .
· The inspiring story of Vikram Vij, Indian Chef and his reasons for not making reservations available at his restaurant struck a chord with me.
· [While talking about dress codes and being judged for clothes we wear...] Is it fair? No. Is it a reality? yes. Is it always the case? Thankfully not, but it happens enough to get noticed.
· The whole chapter on Paralanguage, and the poem, Just Fine are exceptionally well written.
· [While talking about what you post on social media...] If you don't want your grandma to read it, then don't post it!
· What Silly putty, the slinky, chocolate chip cookies and scotchgard have in common? One of the best informative pieces i have read.
Go for this book, you really will enjoy the style in which it is written and amazingly enough, you will love incorporating the things given here. Trust me, this book is NOT preachy. It is fun to read, useful and awesome if you really care about making an impression!
Meet the author:
Jennifer Swanson has been teaching Communication and Human Relation skills since 1993 to college students entering the medical field. She is also the creator/host of the Communication Diva Podcast, which has an international audience and helps people in deepening workplace and personal relationships through more effective communication. In addition to teaching young adults, Swanson is an ordained minister in the United Church of Canada, has worked in the Youth and Family Ministry for 3 years, has a Master's Degree in Public and Pastoral Leadership, and is a certified conflict coach and Master NLP Practitioner. She is also a mother and step-mother to two young adults and two teens. Swanson draws upon years of expertise as she shares her passion for inspiring others to reach their full potential with readers and audiences worldwide.
PRICE: $15.45 for Paperback
BOOK LINKS: http://www.amazon.com/What-They-See-stand-shine/dp/177141099X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427207103&sr=8-1&keywords=what+they+see+how+to+stand+out+and+shine